I stopped by my local Publix to pick up a couple boxes of my girls' favorite cereals to see for myself.
There they are in the cereal aisle - imagine that! What I didn't realize until this campaign is that the General Mills gluten-free family has been growing. They recently added Chocolate Cheerios and Lucky Charms to their already gluten-free Cheerios and Chex family so there are even more delicious options for those of you who avoid it. Check out their full offering here.
Using this COUPON (save $1 when you buy 2 select General Mills Cereals) and the in-store buy one get one specials, I got QUITE a deal on 2 large boxes of my girls' favorite cereals: Cheerios and Lucky Charms. As babies, they started out with Cheerios and still enjoy them to this day. And Lucky Charms, they fell in love with the second that marshmallow bit touched their tongues. haha.
Lucky Charms are thoroughly enjoyed for the occasional breakfast with (not IN) a glass of milk...
or as a snack/treat in their lunches or even an after dinner snack.
Now Cheerios... a tried and true cereal, one they started out gumming when they were mere little babes and still enjoy to this day. Cheerios can be eaten where ever and when ever whether it be for breakfast IN milk, as a snack on the couch (they're a much welcomed low-crumb generating snack, unless the whole bowl gets tipped over which does happen on occasion, but the clean up is super easy) while watching tv, in the toy room while playing with friends, for breakfast, for dinner, for a light meal in summer when you just don't feel like cooking, when you're recovering from a bug, when ever!
I even got a little fancy and made some homemade granola bars with them. They add the PERFECT crunch to these chewy granola bars packed in this lunch.
Homemade granola bars with cheerios you ask? They're delicious, they're nut-free for my nut allergic girls and they can be made gluten-free as well. My girls love them, especially Little Sis, which is a big win because though she loves food, she's never been crazy about my other homemade granola bars. Adding Cheerios to the mix was the difference!
If you noticed that my pan is missing a row, that's because I was doing a "little" taste testing. What started out a little bite turned into much more. That just means I found it irresistable as well. :)
Homemade Granola Bar with Cheerios
Adapted from Dr. Yum's Granola Bars with Cherries and Chocolate Chips
by happyvballgirl @ My Epicurean Adventures
1/2 cup cooking oil (I use grapeseed oil)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup honey
2 tablespoons ground flax seed meal
2 tablespoons wheat germ (omit if making gluten-free)
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups oats (old fashioned, NOT quick - and if you are gluten-free, make sure to check the labels)
2 - 3 cups Cheerios (depending on how soft/crunchy you want your bars to be: 2 c soft, 3 c crunchy!)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Farenheit and line 13x9 baking dish with parchment paper.
- Whisk cooking oil, vanilla and honey in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Add flax seed meal, wheat germ, coconut, brown sugar, chocolate chips and salt into wet mixture and stir.
- Add the oats and Cheerios, mixing well, making sure the oats and Cheerios are evenly coated.
- Place granola into prepared baking sheet and press into pan evenly, so it's about 1 inch thick. This technique always works great for me: Cooking Tip #1: Smushing sticky stuff like cookie dough into a pan (nice title, huh?)
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool minutes and cut into bars, roughly 1 inch wide. Cool an additional 15 minutes before handling to allow granola to further harden.
- Store in a container layered with parchment paper or wax paper, in a cool, dry place.
Makes about 20 (1 x 4") bars.
As if that wasn't enough excitement, how I'm happy to bring offer you a chance to win some for yourself via a $15 Paypal Giveaway!
1. Simply visit this link: General Mills Gluten-Free cereals to see all the different varieties offered at Publix
2. Then leave me a blog post telling me which variety of gluten-free cereal you'd like to buy! Don't forget to leave me an email where I can contact you should you be the lucky winner!
NOTE: You must be 18 years or older to enter and have a PayPal account. For US & Canada mailing addresses only. Winner will be chosen via random.org and will be contacted via email upon giveaway completion so be sure to leave your email addresses! :) Giveaway ends Thursday, June 30, 2016 at midnight EST.
Thanks so much for stopping by and please feel free to make my day by leaving me a comment, joining my blog in the top right corner or liking my on Facebook at MyEpicureanAdventures - the more the merrier! :)
Christine, aka happyvballgirl :)