My volleyball buddy, Glen and I love to cook. We consider ourselves the chefs of the family. ;) Because we share this love, he's also one of my guinea pigs. When I was working on my butter chicken recipe, I found out that he coincidentally was, too, and thus became each other's taste tester. When I dropped off a sample of what I though was IT, I knew I had finally done it when he asked me for the recipe. When I "healthify" a treat recipe by sneaking in some whole wheat flour and/or flax seed and wheat germ, I can tell if the new version's a keeper if Glen will eat more than one of them. ;)
Last weekend, Glen and his crew had me and my crew over for dinner. He made his mom Donna's Chicken Lasagna, a tried and true family favorite. Well, let it be known that it has now become a Taylor family favorite, too, because not only did we devour our first plates, we went back for seconds.
Lucky for us, Glen made a double batch of an already giant dish and ended up having plenty of leftovers... plenty enough to share. Yeah! The next day, Big Sis of all people (she's my eat-like-a-bird pickier sweetie), came home from school literally DEMANDING some of Mr. Glen's (mom's to be exact) chicken lasagna. As she was scarfing hers down (a seriously beautiful sight), Little Sis came home from school, saw what Big Sis was eating and then jumped up and down in sheer excitement yelling "I NEEEEEED some, too!!" Can you tell this girl seriously loves her pasta? She loved this dish so much, she upgraded Mr. Glen to "Uncle Glen". haha.
So, without further ado, here's that awesome recipe that Glen and his mom so kindly and generously shared with us. Thanks guys!
Donna's Chicken Lasagna
straight from Glen's Mom's kitchen
electronictized by happyvballgirl @ My Epicurean Adventures
1 (8 ounce) package medium egg noodles
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
4 cups chicken broth
4 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 (24 ounce) carton cottage cheese
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat; stir in flour and next 3 ingredients. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add broth, stirring until smooth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 to 8 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in chicken; remove from heat.
- Combine cottage cheese and egg, stirring well.
- Spoon one third chicken mixture into a lightly greased 13x9x2 inch baking dish. Top with half each of noodles, cottage cheese mixture and mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers, ending with chicken mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour.
In this dinner
- Donna's Chicken Lasagna
- Steamed broccoli
- Delmonte canned carrots - non-GMO!
- Martin's Potato Rolls (a good source of protein, non-GMO, no high fructose corn syrup, no artificial dyes and oh so soft and tasty!
Thanks so much for stopping by and please feel free to make my day by leaving me a comment, joining my blog in the top right corner or liking my on Facebook at MyEpicureanAdventures - the more the merrier! :)
Christine, aka happyvballgirl :)
Here are some affiliate links to the products I love and use on a daily basis. Well, I don't use ALL of them everyday but I do use at least 3 every day... you know what I mean! :) Feel free to ask me about any of 'em! Any purchases made through these links earns me a little extra cash to support my bento habit, which my hubby would really appreciate. haha! So thank you!!! if you choose to use any of 'em! :)