It was a harried Thursday night before a week-long vacation several months ago and we had some major fridge clearing to do. Our veggie drawer was still packed full of wonderful organic veggies from our CSA Papa Spuds and the last thing I wanted was for it to go to waste. SO... the hubby and I got busy. The kinda busy where he was washin' and I was choppin' and sauteing. It was beautiful. :)
So this is what we threw together. This sight is always music to my eyes, or something like that:
Sauteed in olive oil and seasoned w/ Italian seasoning were minced garlic, diced onions, mushrooms, red and green bell peppers, spinach, eggplant and zucchini. The last 5 veggies were from my wonderful CSA Papa Spuds that I love SOOOOO much because:
1. Every week they let you PICK from a bunch of wonderful options, either organic or not, locally grown when available or shipped in the off season, which veggies you want in your box. No more 5 weeks straight of kale, 5 different chards and bok choy. All that cleaning and chopping and trying to figure out how on earth to use it all used to actually stress me OUT with my old CSA!
2. You can skip weeks, like when you go on vacation!!
3. THEY DELIVER TO YOUR DOORSTEP. :)
Added a jar or two of my favorite grocery store spaghetti sauce, Bertolli's Organic Olive Oil and Garlic to the party to make a most delicious and healthy spaghetti sauce. Not only was dinner ready for that night, it was ready for many many dinners to come by freezing the leftovers in small Pyrex glass containers.
Now feast your eyes on dinner, three months later. Just took my block of frozen spaghetti sauce from the freezer, threw it in a sauce pan and heated it up on the stove.
Served on top of whole grain linguini noodles and shaved Parmesan cheese along with a side of steamed broccoli and whole wheat French bread (which I also keep in the freezer), it was a meal fit for guests - which we had! :)
In this dinner:
- Easy Clean-Out-That-Veggie Drawer Spaghetti Sauce
- Barilla Whole Grain Linguini noodles
- Trader Joe's Shaved Grana Padano Parmesan Cheese
- Steamed Papa Spuds pesticide-free, locally grown broccoli
- Target's Whole Wheat Demi French bread - perfect size for a family of four and then some! FYI: I just love this bread for some reason, even though it's pre-packaged. You can't find 'em at Super Targets, though, just the regular ol' Targets in their newly expanded grocery section.
Papa Spuds CSA - thanks for all the wonderful veggies and the awesome service you offer us!
Thanks so much for stopping by and please feel free to make my day by leaving me a comment or joining my blog in the top right corner - the more the merrier!
Christine, aka happyvballgirl :)